NIKKO FAMILY ADVENTURE
[ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS AND
Though most known for its outdoor splendors, Nikko is also a great place to explore with kids! We recommend the following hands-on activities, which you’ll find throughout this serene, yet lively part of the Japanese Alps. Pair these kid-friendly activities with our Nikko Itinerary for a truly unforgettable family adventure.
Bike Tour Japan creates unforgettable active experiences throughout Japan: from Gunma to Tochigi, Nagano to Setouchi. Reach out to us to learn more about how to build an immersive cycling and cultural adventure for you and your family!
Edo Wonderland is a historical theme park that is well-known throughout Japan. If you are interested in stepping back into time to understand Japan during the Edo Period (1603-1868), simply stroll through the grounds of Edo Wonderland! The park is a small town built using period architecture and is populated by people in traditional clothing. So your little ones can choose to become a samurai, a ninja, or a geisha, among many other roles. Explore all traditional-style shops, the wax work museums, a jailhouse, a haunted temple, a House of Illusion (where balls roll up hill!), a maze, a Grand Ninja Show and much, much more! It’s a full-day of entertainment for the entire family.
Location: 470-2 Karakura, Nikko, Tochigi 321-2524
Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm (closed Wednesdays). During the winter months (Dec-March) the park closes at 4pm.
|ONE DAY PASS||4,700 yen||2,400 yen|
|AFTERNOON PASS (from 2pm, or 1pm in winter)||4,100 yen||2,100 yen|
- There’s a free shuttle bus between Edo Wonderland and Fujiya Kanko Centre (near to Nikko’s Toshogu Shrine). The bus runs about 4-5 trips per day and takes about 35minutes. Some buses also stop at Nikko Station on route.
- For 200 yen you can have a go at making your own rice crackers at the park!
- Children under 5 years old get in free, and ID may be required for proof of age.
- There is also an 800 yen charge to park a car, or 400 yen for a motorbike.
Tobu World Square is a theme park that exhibits 1/25th scale replicas of famous buildings from around the world. The park is divided into zones based on regions of the world from Europe, to Egypt, to Modern Japan and more. Models include ancient sites such as the Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx, and more modern wonders such as the Eiffel Tower, the Tokyo Skytree and a replica of Narita Airport. Many Japanese families come to Nikko with their kids as a way to learn about and see the world, all in one location. English pamphlets are available and all site descriptions in the park are written in both Japanese and English.
Location: 209-1 Kinugawaonsen Ohara, Nikko, Tochigi 321-2593
Hours: Open all year round, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. During the winter months (Dec-March) the park closes at 4pm.
|DOOR TICKET||2,800 yen||1,400 yen|
|ADVANCED PURCHASE TICKET||2,500 yen||1,200 yen|
- You can rent binoculars for 100 yen to get a closer look at the exhibits. The binoculars are available at the information desk.
- Look out for signs stating good ‘photo spots’. The signs recommend good angles and camera techniques (such as getting down low) to take the perfect photo of the miniature worlds.
- Keep a close eye for hidden and famous characters amongst the mini-figures!
- You can also purchase a discounted ticket of 2,200 yen from Kinugawa-onsen Station.
Explore the Kinugawa River onboard a traditional Japanese boat. The wooden boats are skillfully sailed by boatmen who steer through boulders and mini-rapids. No matter what time of year you visit, the cruise is great fun and has stunning views. Particularly for kids who love a bit of action and excitement in nature, we highly recommend this fun Nikko activity! The trees on the banks change from deep greens to dark reds (and everything in-between!) depending on the season. A cruise takes around 40 minutes from start to finish.
Location: 1414 Ohara Kinugawa Onsen, Nikko, Tochigi
Hours: April-November with various departures (see below)
Cruise Timetable: 9:00am, 9:35am, 10:10am, 10:45am, 11:20am, 11:55am, 12:50pm, 1:25pm, 2:00pm, 2:35pm, 3:10pm, 3:45pm.
|GENERAL TICKET||2,800 yen||1,800 yen|
- Boarding begins 10mins before departure. It is best to arrive 20mins in advance.
- Pets cannot be boarded.
- Children under the age of 1 cannot board as life jackets won’t fit them.
- Please note there is an additional parking fee of approx. 500 yen.
- Tours may be cancelled without notice by heavy rain and weather conditions.
The Ropeway is a cablecar trip that connects Kinugawaonsen-Sanroku Station to the top of a scenic mountain. An observation deck provides great views and there’s pleasant seasonal flowers to see there too. The mountain also has Japanese macaques (monkeys) located at the top.
Location: 〒321-2526 Tochigi, Nikko, Kinugawaonsentaki, 834
|GENERAL TICKET||1,100 yen||550 yen|
|COMBINED TICKET (ROPEWAY+KINUGAWA RIVER CRUISE)||3,300 yen||2000 yen|
- It’s worth getting the combination ticket if you’re taking the River Cruise too. Combined tickets save 600 yen per adult and 350 yen for children.
- A free shuttle bus runs regularly between the River Cruise and the Ropeway.
DINING IN NIKKO WITH KIDS
Ramen Bonten serves Japanese-style ramen, various Asian food and soups. It’s both child friendly and vegetarian friendly, offering a wide choice in its menu. This is definitely a kid-favorite in Nikko!
Location: 264-1 Matsubaracho, Nikko, Tochigi Prefecture
This is a friendly family cafe on the road from Shinkyo Bridge to the station. The place gets great reviews for its simple, clear menus and its tasty low-price food. The staff speak English and there is an English menu available as well.
Location: 1011 Kamihatsuishimachi, Nikko 321-1401 Tochigi Prefecture
Hours: 6:30pm-9:30pm (Monday-Friday). 12pm-5pm (Saturday, Sunday)